Living Wage Calculator
Estimation for and in San Francisco
- Federal poverty wage : ⓘThe poverty wage calculated is based on the federal poverty wage. If there are 2 adults, then the 2 adults are considered to be working. A worker works 160 hours a month. The data used is from Covered California.
- Living wage : ⓘA living wage is the minimum income necessary for a worker to meet their basic needs. It includes the costs of housing, food, childcare, medical, transportation, taxes and other costs.
- Housing : ⓘData gathered from zillow, assuming 1 adult lives in a studio apartment; 2 adults in a 1 bedroom, 1 bath; 2 adults and 1 child, 2 bedroom, 2 bath; 2 adults 2 children, 3 bed, 2 bath; 2 adults 3 children, 3 bed, 3 bath
- Food : ⓘModerate cost plans USDA May 2022 adults are considered ages 19-50, using data for male adults as it is slightly more expensive on average. Price increases 20% for an additional adult and 10% for an additional child.
- Child Care : ⓘData from the Children's Council where the estimated child care cost in San Francisco for a family child care home. The cost for a child from 0 to 2 years old is $1,732 and from 2 to 5 years old is $1,700.
- Health Care : ⓘMedical costs include the price of insurance for a person living in California. A single adult gets single premium coverage. Two adults get 2 single premium coverage A family that includes children gets a family premium coverage. Data from Kaiser Family Foundation.
- Transportation : ⓘBureau of labor statistics Consumer expenditure report 2021 states $913 a month per adult for transportation costs, included are car insurance, car payments, gas and for maintenance.
- Other : ⓘBureau of labor statistics Consumer expenditure report 2021, combination of apparel and services, personal care products and services, and miscellaneous from 2021 report.
- Taxes : ⓘTaxes include Federal taxes, State taxes, Social Security taxes and Medicare, data is from 2022 tax forms.
Monthly total :
Annual total :