Estimation for and in San Francisco
- Federal poverty wage : ⓘThe poverty wage calculated is based on the federal poverty wage. If there are 2 adults, then the 2 adults are considered to be working. A worker works 173 hours a month. The data used is from Covered California.
- Living wage : ⓘA living wage is the minimum income necessary for a worker to meet their basic needs. It includes the costs of housing, food, childcare, medical, transportation, taxes and other costs.
Average monthly expenses :
- Housing : ⓘData from Zillow. We considered that:
1 adult alone lives in a studio apartment (without bedroom)
1 adult with 1 child or 2 adults alone live in a 1 bedroom apartment
1 adult with 2 children or 2 adults with 1 child or 2 children live in a 2 bedroom apartment
1 or 2 adults with 3 children live in 3 bedroom apartment
- Food : ⓘData from USDA Food Plans from January 2018 for a low cost plan. Adults are considered to be between 19 and 50 years old. One child is 2-3 years old, second one is 4-5 years old and 3rd child is 6-8 years old.
- Child Care : ⓘData from the Children’s Council where the estimated child care cost in San Francisco for a family child care home. The cost for a child from 0 to 2 years old is $1,732 and from 2 to 5 years old is $1,700.
- Health Care : ⓘMedical costs include the price of insurance for a person living in California.
A single adult gets single premium coverage.
Two adults get 2 single premium coverage
A family that includes children gets a family premium coverage. Data from Kaiser Family Foundation.
- Transportation : ⓘData from the Public Policy Institute of California from 1999-2001. Values were inflated from 1999 to 2019 dollars using the Consumer Price Index inflation multiplier from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The 3 different levels of costs are low income family with a single adult, 2 adult workers and family with children living in California.
- Other : ⓘOther includes apparel and services, and personal care products and services. Data is from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Consumer expenditures 2018.
- Taxes : ⓘTaxes include Federal taxes, State taxes, Social Security taxes and Medicare. Data is from State of California Franchise Tax Board and Internal Revenue Service.
Monthly total :
Annual total :